"U, V"

Huntingdon County and the Seigniories of Chateauguay and Beauharnois



A hamlet name at the junction of the Covey Hill Road and Covey Hill Sideroad in Franklin Township shown on a modern topo map. (45.015N.73.901W) Probably a corruption of the name of Thomas Allchin who owned a store at that location.

Union Cemetery (Ormstown)

See: Ormstown Union Cemetery.

Union Cemetery (Covey Hill)

An old cemetery located on Covey Hill Road, 0.2mi (0.3km) west of the corner of Rte 203 and Covey Hill Road. (45.019N/73.761W)

Upper Bridge (Huntingdon)

The Walker Bridge at Huntingdon named after W.H.Walker, MLA. (45.083N/74.175W) Named because it was upstream from the main Rte 202 bridge near the dam.

Upper Canada

A region of British North America west of Quebec, formed in 1791 when Canada was divided by the Constitutional Act. Renamed Canada West in 1840 following the Act of Union and then Ontario at Confederation in 1867. See also: Lower Canada

Upper Lachine

On an 1839 map, that part of Lachine on the west side of the Lachine Canal was called Upper Lachine. This is the area now called Lachine. On the old map, Lachine was the area to the east of the canal, now called Lasalle.

Upper Ormstown Concession

The Second and Third Concession (Ormstown) on the NW side of Rte 201 and the road that runs between them. (45.14N/74.06W)

Upper St-Phillip

The original name for the hamlet of DeLéry in the municipality of St-Jacques-le-Mineur.

Upper Tullochgorum

The old name for the stretch of Tullochgorum Road and Concession in Ormstown Municipality between the Brysonville Sideroad and Rte 201. It ran between the back of the River Front Concession (Jamestown) and the Third Concession (Jamestown). The Second Concession (Jamestown) starts at the last farm on the west end of the road, just before Rte 201.

Upper Village (Ste-Martine)

The old name for the part of Ste-Martine Village located upstream, south of the dam. Compare with the Lower Village that was called Primeauville.

Upton Road (Hemmingford)

A now abandoned, crooked road that ran from the James Fisher Road at the jog, east of the Brownlee Road, south to the US border. (45.011N/73.535W) It is now a farm lane.


A corrupted spelling for Outarde. See: Outarde River.



A city on the west end of the St-Charles River and Grande-Île, on the east end of Lake St-Francis. Named by the owner of the first paper mill in Valleyfield after a paper mill in Scotland. Now called Salaberry-de-Valleyfield.

Valleyfield Catholic Cemetery

See: Cimetière de Ste-Cecile.

Valleyfield Protestant Cemetery

A non-denominational protestant cemetery in Salaberry de Valleyfield. It is located at the corner of Rue Alexandre and Rue Anderson, a short distance north of the post office. (45.262N/74.118W)

Valleyfield Post Office

The Valleyfield Post Office has been in operation since 1854.

Valleyfield Station (Canada Atlantic)

A railway station that was located on the Canada Atlantic Railway (later Grand Trunk and CNR) line on the north side of downtown Valleyfield, on Rue Mignonne, between Avenue de Grande- Île and Rue Alexandre. (45.265N/74.135W) It was closed and demolished in 1963.

Valleyfield Station (New York Central)

A railway station that was located on the New York Central Railway (now Conrail) line on the south side of downtown Valleyfield, at the corner of Webb and Napoleon Streets. (45.250N/74.124W)

Valle Creek

A tributary on the east side of the Châteauguay River at the Upper Village of Ste-Martine. Exact location is unknown?. Named after the first resident, François Valle.

Vance Sideroad

An old name for the stretch of Rte 202 between Huntingdon and the Lost Nation Road in Hinchinbrooke. (45.076N/74.157W) Named after Alexander Vance who owned the land on the west side.

Vassal Island (Île-Vassal)

An island in Lake St-Francis, 0.8mi (1.4km) west of Port Lewis. (45.174N/74.299W)


A hamlet on the west side of the St-Louis River, 3.7mi (5.9km) south of the Town of Beauharnois, at the corner of Rte 236 and Rang St-Laurent. (45.262N/73.892W)

Vendome Post Office

The Vendome Post Office operated from 1893 to 1902 and from 1908 until 1915.


An old name for Havelock Corners.

Vicars Post Office

The Vicars Post Office operated from 1864 until 1914.

Victoria Settlement

The old local name for the Connaught Settlement on the NE end of the Fourth and Fifth Concessions (Godmanchester) along the Connaught Road.

Village Billette Post Office

The Village Billette Post Office operated from 1941 until 1951. It was located at 367 Dufferin St, Valleyfield.

Village de <xxxx>

See also: <xxxx> Village.

Village de la Fourche

An old name for Howick Village. Named after the old french name for the fork of the English and Châteauguay Rivers and the point between them.

Village du Lac St-Louis, Municipalité du

The official first name for the Village of Melocheville, created in 1919. However Melocheville was the common name and it was officially adopted in 1953.

Village de Melocheville, Municipalité du

See: Melocheville.

Village du Rang du Quatre (Rang 4 Village)

See: Village St-Pierre.

Village of Hinchinbrooke

A name for the Village of Huntingdon given in an 1831 publication by Joseph Bouchette, the Surveyor-General and also noted on several of his maps.

Village of Howick Junction

A late 1800s, proposed development of a community around the railway junction west of Howick, then known as Howick Junction and now known as Ayrness. The development failed from lack of interest.

Village St-Pierre

A hamlet in Très-St-Sacrement Parish, located on Fertile Creek Road, at the corner of the Brysonville Sideroad (Montée Bryson). (45.127N/73.895W) Named after Pierre Bourcier dit Lavigne. Older names include Cairnside and Village du Rang du Quatre. Local nicknames include Slabtown, Slab City, and Lavigne City. Not to be confused with the old St-Pierre, east of Kahnawake or the Ville St-Pierre in Montréal.


Original name of the Seigniory of Beauharnois.

Ville Ste-Catherine

See: Ste-Catherine, Ville de and Côte Ste-Catherine.