"J K"

Huntingdon County and the Seigniories of Chateauguay and Beauharnois


Jackson Cemetery

An old cemetery located at the old Elvidge's Corners on Montée Guay (Lacolle), 0.8mi (1.3km) east of Rang St-André (Rte 217), in the southern region of Lacolle Municipality. (45.021N/73.426W)

Jackson (Side)Road

A road running from Rte 202 at Corbin's Corners, 4.8mi (7.6km) west of Hemmingford, south to the Covey Hill Road near where the old Frontier Post Office was located. (45.042N/73.686W) Named after Joseph Jackson, an early resident. It was also locally called the Fort Road, after the local name for Corbin's Corners.

Jamieson Lines (Elgin)

A Canadian Custom post on Jamieson Road, 4.4mi (7km) west of Herdman Customs and 1mi (1.6km) SW of Powerscourt. (44.002N/74.174W)

Jamieson Rapids

A rapids on the Châteauguay River between Powerscourt and Athelstan. Exact location not determined.?

Jamieson Sideroad

A road running from the First Concession Road (Elgin), 0.8mi (1.3km) from Powerscourt, south to Jamieson Lines, the customs port on the US border. (45.008N/74.175W)

James Fisher Cemetery

See: Fisher Cemetery, James.

James Fisher Road

The newest name (since 1999) of Fisher Street (Hemmingford), the southernmost road in Hemmingford running east from Rte 219. Renamed a road to conform with naming standards and named James Fisher Road to honour Hemmingford's first permanent settler and to distinguish it from the other Fisher road in the northeast corner of the township.

Jamestown (James Town)

The southwest region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois, bounded on the north by the Châteauguay River, on the east by South Georgetown along what is now the Brysonville Sideroad, on the west by the Hinchinbrooke Township and on the south by the western part of Russelltown. (45.11N/75.96W) Named after Alexander Ellice's son James. Sometimes written as two words.

Jamestown Forks

Another name for Jamestown 'Island' or the area between the Outarde and Châteauguay Rivers.

Jamestown Island

It is not really an island, just a long narrow point between the Châteauguay River and the Outarde River. It is located 0.7mi (1.1km) west of Ormstown (45.121N/74.006W) and runs west to the Boyd Settlement in Hinchinbrooke. Also known as Ormstown Island or Jamestown Forks.

Jamestown Sideroad

The road that used to run from Ormstown Village, southwest to St-Antoine-d'Abbe and was designated provincial Route 14. The Ormstown end is now a local street between Rte 138 and Tullochgorum Road, having been bypassed by the new stretch of Rte 201. From Tullochgorum Road south, Rte 201 follows the old Jamestown Sideroad.

Jesuit's Mill

An early mill (c1690) constructed by the Jesuit missionaries at the Mohawk Kahnawakon Village. It is now located at Côte Ste-Catherine Park adjacent to Côte Ste- Catherine Seaway Lock.

Johnson Beach

A beach on the south side of Lake St-Louis, just east of the east mouth of the Châteauguay River. (45.401N/73.743W)

Johnson's Corners

The old name for Barrington (Hemmingford).

Johnson's Corners Post Office

The Johnson's Corners Post Office operated at the general store from 1853 until 1861 when it's name changed to Barrington Post Office.

Johnson Creek

A tributary on the west side of the Richelieu River with its mouth at Île-aux-Noix. (45.127N/73.270W) It is probably now called Ruisseau Landry.

Johnson's Point (Pointe-Johnson)

A point on Lake St-Louis, 0.8mi (1.3km) east of the east mouth of the Châteauguay River. (45.402N/73.739W) Previously called Châteauguay Point.

Johnson's Station

The original name for Barrington Station on the Province Line Branch of the Montreal and New York Rail line that ran through Hemmingford.

John Wilson Family Cemetery

An old private family cemetery in Franklin Township, located at the corner of the Grimshaw Road and the Wilson Sideroad, 1.3mi (2.1km) west of Franklin Centre. (45.028N/73.950W) Also called the Wilson-Smith Family Cemetery.


Old local nickname for Dewittville.

Joubert Island

See: Île-Joubert.


Usually a crossing of two railway lines. See: Individual entry <xxxx> junction . Locals would often call their nearest Rail Junction simply "The Junction".





An indian village occupied around 1690 by the Mohawk tribe that subsequently moved to Kanatwenke Village. It was located halfway between Rivière-St-Pierre and Rivière-Suzanne within the northeastern area of the present Kahnawake Indian Reserve. (45.409N/73.591W) The Jesuit missionaries also built a mill there known as Jesuit's Mill.

Kahnawake (first village)

An indian village occupied around 1676 by the Mohawk tribe that subsequently moved to Kahnawakon. It was located at the mouth of Rivière-St-Pierre near present day Ste-Catherine. (45.409N/73.591W) The name apparently means "rapids" in Mohawk. It is pronounced "gan-a-wag-e" in english.

Kahnawake Post Office

The Kahnawake Post Office name dates from 1984 when its name was changed from the previous Caughnawaga Post Office.

Kahnawake (Reserve)

The Mohawk indian reservation located on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River across from Lachine (Montréal). (45.38N/73.67W) Officially known as Indian Reserve #14. It was previously named Caughnawaga Indian Reservation.

Kahnawake (Village)

The main village on the Kahnawake Indian Reserve. It is located on the west side of the south shore end of the Mercier Bridge (Rte 138). (45.409N/73.670W) It was first used by the Mohawks in 1716. Caughnawaga, the english corruption of the mohawk name, was in common usage by non-natives until recent times. Kahnawake is pronounced "gan-a-wag-e" in english.


An indian village occupied around 1696 by the Mohawk tribe that subsequently moved to Kahnawake Village. It was located halfway between Rivière-St-Pierre and Rivière-Suzanne within the area of the present Kahnawake Indian Reserve.

Kanawaki Station

A railway station on the New York Central (Conrail) railway line. It was located at northeast side of the junction of Rte 207 and the rail line, 1.1mi (1.8km) SSE of Kahnawake Village. (45.397N/73.665W)


A Mohawk Indian name meaning "Mohawk Territory".

Kelly Sideroad (Montée Kelly)

A road on the St-Chrysostome/Ste-Clothilde boundary line running south from Rte 209. (45.134N/73.703W) It is also named or joins with Rang 4 (Ste-Clothilde)


A hamlet in Elgin located on the Second Concession Road, 0.3mi (0.5km) east of the junction with the Smaill Sideroad. (45.021N/74.266W) The name is taken from a placename in Scotland. A recent map shows it named as Elgin since the Elgin Township Town Hall is located there.

Kelso Post Office

The Kelso Post Office operated from 1868 until 1917. According to the Belden Atlas, it was located further east on the same road as the hamlet of Kelso near the point where the Oak Creek crosses the road. (45.020N/74.254W) This location was the farm owned by the Peter MacFarlane family who were the postmasters throughout its history.

Kelso Presbyterian Cemetery

An old cemetery located at the Kelso hamlet, on the south side of the Second Concession Road in Elgin Township. (45.020N/74.264W)

Kelvingrove (Elgin)

A hamlet that was located in Elgin Township, on the south side of the Trout River, 3.3mi (5.3km) SW of Huntingdon, at the junction of the Fourth Concession Road and the Paul Sideroad. (45.053N/74.223W)

Kelvin Grove

See: Kelvingrove.

Kelvin Grove Post Office

The Kelvin Grove Post Office operated from 1904 until 1915. It was previously named Calvin Grove Post Office for a short period in 1904.

Kenney Road (Montée Kenney) (Hemmingford/Lacolle)

The eastward extension of the Williams Road from the Quest Road to the Bogton Road (Rang Bogton). (45.073N/73.520W) It is split between Hemmingford Township and St-Bernard-de-Lacolle. Named after the family that operated Kenney's General Store at the Hallerton Corner.


A hamlet in the southwest end of Godmanchester, on the side of the Trout River. It was located on Rte 138, where the bridge from the Second Concession (Elgin) crossed the Trout River, 1.6mi (2.7km) north of Trout River Customs. (45.015N/74.304W) It was previously named Hendersonville after the first mill owner on the site. Not to be confused with Kensington Township in Hull County.

Kensington Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery

An old cemetery located on the west side of Rte 138 at Kensington. (45.015N/74.305W) Also named the Hendersonville Cemetery.

Kensington Post Office

The Kensington Post Office operated from 1880 until 1917.

Kent County (1792-1829)

One of 21 counties created in Lower Canada in 1792 as a result of the Canada Act 1791. It was located on the west side of the Richelieu River, north of Huntingdon County and south of Surrey County. It included the old Seigniories of Boucherville, Tremblay, Chambly Ouest and part of the Barony of Longueuil. It disappeared during the reorganizations of 1829.


An indian village occupied around 1667 by the Mohawk tribe that subsequently moved to the first Kahnawake Village. It was located at the mouth of the Rivière-St-Jacques, near Laprairie.

Key Island

A tiny marsh island on the south shore of the St-Lawrence River, in the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It was located at the junction of Pike Creek with the Salmon River, 1.7mi (2.8km) NW of Dundee Village. (45.016N/74.535W) Marsh islands can come and go or change shape drastically with small changes in water lever. Key Island is no longer shown on a map.

Kilbain Corners

An old name for Lee's Corner, located at the junction of the Ridge Road (Godmanchester) and Cazaville Sideroad (Montée Cazaville). (45.055N/74.335W)

Kilbain Post Office

The Kilbain Post Office operated from 1886 until 1914 with a break from 1907 to 1909.

King Settlement, The (Elgin)

A settlement located in the southeast corner of Elgin Township along the First Concession (Elgin) and the Shearer Sideroad. (45.002N/74.19W)

King's Road (St-Anicet)

The road from LaGuerre Village to Dundee built in 1835. Now comprising Chemin à la Guerre east of Cazaville and Rte 132 from Cazaville to Dundee.

Kintail, The Indian Reserve of

The first name for the region that later became Dundee Township. Also known as Indian Lands (Dundee) or "The Indian Lands of Kintail". Sellar refers to "An indian reserve known as Kintail". Probably named after Kintail, Rosshire, Scotland.


An old name (c1832) for Russelltown Flats.

Kitten Island

A small island in Lake St-Francis, just off Pointe-Leblanc. It is very close to the border between Dundee and St-Anicet. (45.076N/74.452W) There are two islands named Cat and Kitten. On two topo maps from different decades, the names have been switched. I have assumed that the larger is Cat Island. Both islands are now part of the Akwesasne Indian Reserve.

Knight's Island

A island in the south channel of the St-Lawrence River between Grande-Île and the south shore. It was located on the east side of Valleyfield close to the railway bridge. (45.258N/74.103W)

Knight's Point

A point on Lake St-Francis named after Mr. Knight, a dutchman who was one of the first settlers in the late 1700s. The exact location is unknown?, just that using Sellar's description, it must have been in the east end of the lake near Hungry Bay.

Knox United Church Cemetery (St-Louis-de-Gonzague)

The present official name for the St-Louis Presbyterian Cemetery.