Huntingdon County and the Seigniories of Chateauguay and Beauharnois


Baby's Mills

A mill located on the Little Montreal River (L'Acadie River) about 1.5mi (2.5km) SE of Sherrington. Named after Sieur François Baby who presumably owned the mill, along with a large area of land in the area. (45.148N/73.504W)


This one is vague. Besides the post Office reference putting it in Sherrington Municipality between 1832 and 1867, there are some other conflicting references to Baby. A "Baby's Mill" is shown on an old map on the Little Montreal River (L'Acadie River) about 1.5mi (2.5km) SE of Sherrington. (45.148N/73.504W) This is the most likely candidate for a location. A Sherrington 130th Anniversary booklet seems to confirm this location and that it was named for Sieur François Baby. Another old map refers to "Baby's Property" in the same area. Finally Babyville is shown on a 1867 Eastern Townships map as being the name of Sherrington Village. The same map has Sherrington where Douglas Corners should be. It would appear that that mapmaker was a little confused.

Babyville Post Office

A post office somewhere in Sherrington Municipality, probably at the "Baby's Mill" location on the Little Montreal River. It started before 1832 and operated until 1867. Refer to Babyville for possible locations.

Back Bush Road

A road running from the end of Chemin St-Joseph (St-Chrysostome) (45.084N/73.713W) to Rte 219 0.8mi (1.3km) south of Barrington. (45.100N/73.581W) It is sometimes incorrectly called the 'Black Bush Road'.

Back Ridge (Godmanchester)

The first road NW of the Ridge Road, running from the Plank Road (Chemin de Planche) to the Smellie Sideroad (Montée Smellie). It is about 2.5mi (4km) NW of Huntingdon. It is the westward continuation of the Teafield Road (Chemin Teafield). The name Back Ridge may also designate the range of farms along that road.

Back Street (Howick)

See: Colville Street.

Baie Bayard

A small bay between Pointe-Bayard and Île-Saveuse, 0.7mi (1.1km) NW of St-Timothée. (45.303N/74.033W)


A small bay on Lake St-Francis, just on west end of Hungry Bay, about 3.5mi (5.6km) SW of Valleyfield. (45.200N/74.175W)

Baie-de-la-Faim (Hungry Bay)

See: Hungry Bay.

Baie-de-Perron (Perron Bay)

A bay on Lake St-Francis, 2.4mi (3.8km) NW of Cazaville. (45.103N/74.411W)

Baie St-Anicet

A bay on Lake St-Francis, just on the east side of St-Anicet Village. (45.146N/74.355W)

Baie St-François

The long open bay of Lake St-Francis in front of downtown Valleyfield. (45.257N/74.145W) It was originally the upstream end of the St-Charles River (or south channel of the St-Lawrence) until the Old Beauharnois Canal was built in the mid 1840s and the dams were installed to power the local mills in following years.


There are two Bangall names, Little Bangall and Big Bangall, corresponding to the two southeastern concessions in Sherrington Municipality, next to the northeast corner of Hemmingford Township. Little Bangall runs along the Hardee Farm Road (Hemmingford) or Rang St-Pierre Est (Sherrington) (45.115N/73.542W) and Big Bangall runs parallel to Little Bangall on its northeast side. The origin of the name is unknown but may be related to a Bangall village in Duchess County (NY), a county which was the origin of many United Empire Loyalists. Little Bangall was probably the basis for the corrupted french name "Le Petite Bagnole" applied to the Hardee Farm Road.

Barony of Longueuil

A later name (c1700) for the Seigniory of Longueuil. The Seigniory of Longueuil was first granted in 1657 to Charles LeMoyne, Sieur de Longueuil. It was raised to the label of Barony of Longueuil in 1700. The seigniory expanded in several steps and by 1710, it included land from the St-Lawrence River to the Richelieu River and south along the west side of the river to the Seigniory of DeLéry. One document suggested that the Barony of Longueuil name applied to the original county of Huntingdon, that is all the territory west of the Richelieu. This designation is not correct.


The name on a modern map for the old hamlet of Baurette at the mouth of the Tortue River near Candiac. (45.401N/73.538W)


A hamlet in Hemmingford Township, located at the junction of Rte 219 and Fisher Road. (45.111N/73.573W) It was previously called Johnson's Corners. Barrington was Mr. Johnson's middle name.

Barrington Post Office

The Barrington Post Office operated from a store at Barrington from 1861 until 1969. It was previously called Johnson's Corners Post Office.

Barrington Road

An old name for the section of Rte 219 (locally called Rte 219 North) from Hemmingford to the Sherrington County line.

Barrington Station

A railway station about 0.6mi (1km) north of Barrington at the junction of the Canada Atlantic Railway line to Cantic and the Grand Trunk Railway line to Hemmingford (both now abandoned). (45.121N/73.573W) On a recent map (c1989), the same spot is called 'The Crutch' - meaning unknown. Previously called Johnson's Station.


Lower Châteauguay (Village) or Châteauguay Basin on the west side of the Châteauguay River.


A possible old name for Maple Grove.

Basin, The

See: Châteauguay Basin

Baskin Road (Hemmingford)

Another name for the present day Poupart Road.

Bassin-de-Châteauguay, Le

See: Châteauguay Basin


an old spelling for Beaudette on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River.


A hamlet near the mouth of the Tortue River,north of Delson, which is shown as Barrette on a modern map. (45.401N/73.538W)

Beach Ridge (Williamstown)

A corrupted misspelling of Beechridge.

Bean River (Rivière-des-Fèves)

A tributary of the Châteauguay River with its mouth 1.1mi (1.8km) SW of Ste-Martine village (45.232N/73.815W) and its source south near the Norton Creek. The origin of the name is vague. There are a number of Bean family members buried in the local catholic cemetery and the name probably derives from one of their ancestors. If true, this would make the french translation of Rivière-des-Fèves inappropriate since proper names are not to be translated. The Rivière-des-Fèves Post Office, located at the corner of the Chemin Rivière-des-Fèves-Nord and Montée Rivière-des-Fèves, operated from 1889 until 1914.

Beauce Concession (Ste-Martine)

A range of farms on the west side of the Châteauguay River, north of Ste-Martine, along the Chemin-de-la-Beauce. The origin of the name 'Beauce' is vague but one source suggests that it is derived from 'boisèe' meaning 'wooded'.

Beauce Road

In modern terms, the Beauce Road is Rte 205 from where it joins Rte 138 north of Ste-Martine to Beauharnois. In the old days it was limited to the stretch of that road west of the Châteauguay River. (45.288N/73.834W)


A town on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River just east of the Ontario border. On an old map, it was marked 'Baudet' meaning donkey in french. Also on some old maps, shown as Bodet, probably a corrupted spelling. (45.204N/74.324W) See also: Rivière Beaudette and Pointe Beaudette.

Beaudette Station

A railway station at Rivière Beaudette Village.


The name Beauharnois can apply to a number of entities. First the Seigniory of Beauharnois, then its principal town Beauharnois, the Old and New Beauharnois Canals, the County of Beauharnois, and the Beauharnois Districts number 1 and 2 that appeared briefly in the mid 19th century to name a few. Named after the original owners of the Seigniory of Beauharnois, Marquis Charles de Beauharnois and his brother Claude de Beauharnois (spelt Beauharnais in the old french). Alexander Ellice renamed the Seigniory "Annfield" when he bought the seigniory in 1794, but that name did not persist.

Beauharnois Anglican Cemetery

The Beauharnois Anglican Church was located on Rue Ste-Catherine between St-George and St-Charles. The associated cemetery is behind it. The church and cemetery are now being used by a french Evangelical Church.

Beauharnois Canal, New

See: Beauharnois Power Canal.

Beauharnois Canal, 0ld

A navigation canal built in the mid 1840s to replace the small canals on the north shore that bypassed the rapids from Pointe-des Cascades to Coteau Landing. It ran on the south shore of the St-Charles River or South Channel of the St-Lawrence River, from the east end of Lake St-Francis, at present day Valleyfield, to a point just west of Beauharnois, now called Melocheville. In 1901 it was replaced by the Soulanges Canal on the north shore. In 1907, the old canal was rented to the Canadian Light, Heat and Power Co. as a water source for their new hydroelectric plant in St-Timothée. It has been disused and partially levelled after the opening of the New Beauharnois Power Canal in the mid 1930s. The main evidence now of its existence is a canal running through downtown Valleyfield.

Beauharnois Catholic Cemetery

There have been several St-Clément cemeteries over the years. See: Cimetière de St-Clément.

Beauharnois Channel

An old name for the south channel of the St-Lawrence River between Grande-Île and the south shore. Also known as Rivière St-Charles and Lost Channel.

Beauharnois County

A county created in 1829 by merging the west (Godmanchester and Hinchinbrooke) and south (Hemmingford) parts of the old Huntingdon County with the Seigniory of Beauharnois. It was replaced in 1841 by the Municipal District of Beauharnois. In 1855, the County of Beauharnois was resurrected in a new form that included only the north half of the Seigniory of Beauharnois, northwest of the Châteauguay River including the parishes of St-Clément, St-Louis-de-Gonzague and St-Timothée.

Beauharnois District No 1, Municipal District of

One of two political District Council Divisions created in 1847 in an effort to reorganize local government in the region covered by the old county of Huntingdon. Beauharnois District Number One included the Parishes of St-Clément (Beauharnois), Ste-Martine, St-Chrysostome, and St-Timothée. It was replaced in 1855 by new counties of Châteauguay and Beauharnois

Beauharnois District No 2, Municipal District of

One of two political District Council Divisions created in 1847 in an effort to reorganize local government in the region covered by the old county of Huntingdon. Beauharnois District Number Two included the Townships of Godmanchester, Dundee, Hinchinbrooke, Hemmingford, The Parish of St-Anicet and part of Russelltown. It was replaced in 1855 by new counties of Huntingdon and Châteauguay.

Beauharnois Junction Railway

A railway constructed in 1887-8 that ran from the Grand Trunk Rail line at Ste-Martine Junction to Valleyfield via Beauharnois. It was later part of the Grand Trunk Railroad system, which in turn was merged into the CNR system.

Beauharnois, Municipal District of

A political structure created in 1841 after the Act of Union in 1840 joined Upper and Lower Canada. It was intended to give the residents of the old County of Huntingdon (including the Seigniory of Beauharnois) some local control in their affairs as recommended by the report on the Rebellions of 1837-8 by Lord Durham. It was shortlived, being replaced in 1845 by a hodge podge of local townships and parishes. In 1847, this in turn was replaced by Municipal Districts of Beauharnois, number 1 and 2. These in turn were replaced in 1855 with the Counties of Beauharnois, Châteauguay and Huntingdon.

Beauharnois Post Office

The Beauharnois Post Office first opened in 1829 in the Village of Beauharnois.

Beauharnois Power Canal

The Beauharnois Power Canal was built in the early 1930s to provide water from Lake St-Francis to the new Shawinigan Light, Heat & Power Company hydroelectric generating plant at Melocheville. (45.245N/73.977W) It became part of the St-Lawrence Seaway when the Seaway was built in the mid 1950s to replace the Soulanges Canal.

Beauharnois Presbyterian Cemetery

See: St Edwards Presbyterian Cemetery (Beauharnois).

Beauharnois Road

The road along the south side of the Rivière St-Louis, now called Rte 236.

Beauharnois, Seigniory of

See: Seigniory of Beauharnois.

Beauharnois Station

A railway station on the New York Central (Conrail) line, located in the town of Beauharnois. (45.311N/73.872W)

Beauharnois, Village of

A large village on the St-Lawrence river about 7mi (12km) southwest of Châteauguay at the mouth of the St-Louis River. (45.312N/73.874W) Old names included Annstown, Annfield Mills and Ann's Mills. It was the headquarters of the Seigniory agent in the early 1800s. The Village of Beauharnois was officially incorporated in 1846. In 1963 it became incorporated as a town named Ville-de-Beauharnois.

Beauharnois, Ville de

The Ville-de-Beauharnois was incorporated as a town or city in 1963. Previously it was the Village of Beauharnois. (45.312N/73.874W)

Beaver (Dundee)

See: Beaver Crossing, Beaver Flats, Beaver Settlement.

Beaver Brook (Creek) (Dundee)

A tributary of the Trout River with its source in the US, crossing the border 1.6mi (2.6km) east of Ste-Agnes (44.993N/74.360W) and joining the Trout River close to the junction of the Carr Sideroad and Rte 138. (45.045N/74.267W)

Beaver Creek (Lacolle)

This creek was mentioned in dispatches during the military actions against the Rebellion in 1838. It is probably a stream draining Beaver Meadow (Lacolle). There is a Ruisseau Beaver Meadow east of Autoroute 15 but it is not in the same area as the Beaver Meadow (Lacolle) between the Glass Road and Rte 202, west of Autoroute 15 indicated on an old map. There may be more than one Beaver Meadow in the Lacolle area.

Beaver Crossing

The junction of the CNR line and the Arnold Sideroad in Dundee. (45.013N/74.360W)

Beaver Flats (Dundee)

The area around the junction of Chemin Pitt and Montée Smallman, 1.2mi (2km) SW of St-Agnes-de-Dundee. (45.002N/74.382W)

beaver meadows

Any one of a number of grassy areas growing up around swamps or ponds created by beaver dams or on floodplains. It is mentioned several times in Sellar without further clarification as to exact location. They were often used by the early settlers as a source of hay for feeding cattle.

Beaver Meadow (Lacolle)

A large swampy area that was located 5mi (8km) west of Hemmingford, between Rte 202 and the Glass Road. (45.047N/73.485W) There may? also be another Beaver Meadow (Lacolle) on the east side of Autoroute 15, evidenced by a Ruisseau Beaver Meadow and the Beaver Meadow Cemetery in that area.

Beaver Meadow Cemetery (Lacolle)

See: Jackson Cemetery.

Beaver Post Office

A post office located at Beaver Crossing (45.013N/74.360W), that operated from 1898 until 1914.

Beaver Settlement (Godmanchester)

An area on the SW end of Fifth Range Godmanchester or in adjacent Dundee, in the area of the Beaver Creek headwaters. (45.02N/74.33W)

Beaver Swamp (St-Anicet)

A swampy area located about 1mi (1.6km) northeast of Dupuis Corners. (45.11N/74.38W)

Beechridge (Beech Ridge)

A double range of farms in the east corner of Williamstown, running NE from the Norton Creek. (45.175N/73.704W) It is now in the Municipality of Ste-Clotilde. Named for the number of large beech trees on the ridge when first opened. It was sometimes spelt Beach Ridge. Also the name of the Presbyterian Church located nearby on Rte 209. (45.074N/73.250W) See also: Scotch Settlement. Not to be confused with another Beechridge located in Argenteuil County.

Beechridge Cemetery

A protestant cemetery located on Rte 209, 0.8mi (1.3km) NE of the junction of Rte 205, at the back of the Beechridge Presbyterian Church. (45.188N/73.673W)

Beechridge, Chemin (Rang) de

An old name for Le Grand Rang de Ste-Clothilde (Rte 209). (45.178N/73.689W)


A hamlet that was located on the First Concession Road (Elgin) at the corner with the Wattie Sideroad, close to where the NY Central (Conrail) railway line crossed the road. (45.007N/74.230W) It was named after a village in Ayrshire, Scotland of the same name.

Beith Post Office

The Beith Post Office operated from 1903 to 1917.


Now part of Valleyfield, QC, Bellerive was a separate town, located on the north side of Baie St-François. (45.261N/74.142W)

Bellerive Post Office

The Bellerive Post Office operated from 1891 until 1936 when it was renamed Valleyfield-Bellerive (Sub Office).

Bellevue Station

A railway station on the NY Central (Conrail) line at Léry, QC. (45.335N/73.815W)

Belle-Vallee (Pleasant Valley)

A hamlet that was located near Lacolle, QC, on Rte 217, 0.7mi (1.1km) south of the junction with Rte 202. (45.057N/73.434W) A 1902 map shows it at the corner of Rtes 217 and 202. (45.067N/73.434W) There was another Pleasant Valley, 2.6mi (4.1km) to the WNW, on Rte 202 marked on an 1839 map. (45.070N/73.486W) My guess is that there was only one Belle-Vallee/Pleasant Valley and it was located at the corner of Rtes 202 and 217.

Belle-Vallee Post Office

The Belle-Vallee Post Office operated from 1875 until 1913.

Berry Island

The old name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It was located near the mouth of Bittern Creek. The shape and names of these islands have changed over the years. It seems to be called Île-Goose on a modern map.

Bethel Cemetery

The Bethel Cemetery is located on Covey Hill Road, a short distance west of the corner with the Stevenson Sideroad. (45.019N/73.838W) It was first established to serve the nearby Bethel Honerite Church (now demolished).

Big Bangall

See: Bangall.

Big Cow Island (St-Régis)

The old name of a small island in the St-Lawrence River, within the Akwesasne Indian Reserve in the west end of Dundee. It is located 0.4mi (0.6km) north of the eastern tip of Île-Jaune. (45.023N/74.609W) It is now called Île-Cattle.

Biggar Creek

A tributary of the Châteauguay River with its mouth 0.6mi (1km) east of Huntingdon (45.092N/74.164W) and its source along the Ridge Road. It is now called Huntingdon Creek.

Biggar Settlement

A settlement along the Ridge Road near Clydes's Corners. (45.080N/74.216W) Named after James Biggar, an early settler.

Biggar Sideroad

A now abandoned sideroad that ran NW from the Ridge road near where it makes a 30 deg turn north half way between the Smellie Sideroad and the Plank Road. It ran to the Back Ridge Road on the next concession. (45.087N/74.215W) Named after the family that owned the farm along which it ran.

Biggar's Swamp

A swamp area between the Laird Settlement on the Fourth concession (Godmanchester) and Huntingdon, probably in the headwaters of Biggar's Creek (now Huntingdon Creek) along the present day Ridge Road.

Bill Power Road

An old name for present day Chemin de la Rivière (Ste-Clothilde) or the Chemin de l'Eglise (Ste-Clothilde).

Bisaillon Post Office

A post office located somewhere within the Laprairie-Napierville Federal Electorial District. Exact location yet to be determined?. It operated from 1911 until 1924.

Bittern Creek

A small creek in the St-Régis Indian Reserve with its source on the US side and its mouth at the St-Lawrence River 3.9mi (6.2km) WNW of Dundee Village. (45.021N/74.569W)

Bittern Island

A marsh island in the western end of Dundee, located 2.9mi (4.7km) west of Dundee Village, between Pike Creek and Bittern Creek. (45.008N/74.565W) It was first settled by lease from the indians around 1820 according to Sellar. Later it was repurchased and added to the St-Régis Indian Reserve. Sometimes spelt Bettern Island.

Blackberry Island

An island in the St-Charles River or South Channel of the St-Lawrence between Grande-Île and the South Shore. Shown on Bouchettes 1815 topo map, it no longer exists and was probably altered during the construction of the old Beauharnois Canal or during construction of railway crossings.

Blackburn's Corners

A hamlet that was located about 1.7mi (2.7km) SW of St-Urbain-Premier on Rte 205 at the corner of Montée Gervais. (45.202N/73.715W) Named for a man who kept a tavern on the corner.

Black Bush Road

A corruption of the name Back Bush Road (Hemmingford).

Black Cattle Road

A trail starting near Chateaugay (NY), and ending near present day St-Constant. Its name derives from its use to drive smuggled cattle from the US to Montréal to feed the British solders during the War of 1812.

Black Creek

A creek starting 1mi (1.6km) south of Rockburn (45.008N/74.002W) and merging with Mitchell Brook, 0.5mi (0.8km) north of the junction of the Rockburn Sideroad and the Botreaux Range. It eventually flows into the Outarde River East Branch. On an 1896 map, the Outarde River East Branch up to the mouth of Black Creek is also called Black Creek. Not to be confused with the Black River (St-Chrysostome) and Rivière Noire (St-Urbain).

Blackman('s) Corners (NY)

An old hamlet that was located NW of Mooer's Forks (NY). It was located at the corner of the Blackman Corners Road and North Star/Bush Road. (44.976N/73.660W)

Blackpool Customs

The Canadian Customs Port of Entry opposite Champlain (NY). (45.009N/73.452W)

Black River (St-Chrysostome)

A tributary of the English River with its mouth at St-Chrysostome (45.101N/73.763W) and its headwaters on the north side of St-Antoine-d'Abbe. The origin of the name is vague but it is reported that it was named after a Mr. Black who was an early settler. If true, then the french translation of Rivière Noire is inappropriate since proper names should not be translated.

Black River (St-Urbain)

See: Rivière Noire (St-Urbain).

Black's Cemetery

An old name for Hillside Cemetery. Named after Black's Church.


An old name for L'Acadie, shown on a county map published in 1855, although the age of the map data is unknown. Named after David Alexander Grant de Blairfindie who married the owner of the Barony of Longueuil in 1781. The name of the catholic parish in 1834, and probably earlier, was Ste-Marguerite-de-Blairfindie which was the name adopted by the municipal parish in 1854.

Blank land (Hemmingford)

An area of Hemmingford Township lying between the Crown Reserves and the Clergy Reserves that was left unsurveyed when the original township survey was done in 1790s. It later became the Sixth, Seventh and Eighth concessions.

Blueberry Plains

See: Blueberry Rock.

Blueberry Rock

A large, flat area of almost solid rock with very little soil located in Jamestown south of the Fertile Creek Concession (Rang 4 Ormstown) with some overlap into South Georgetown area. (45.10N/73.90W) It grew nothing but small brush (including blueberry bushes) in the limited soil available. Also named the Flat Rock, the Rock or the french "Le Rocher" by the locals.


An old misspelling or verbal translation of Baudette. See: Rivière Baudette and Pointe Baudette.

Bogtown (Bogton)

A hamlet that was located at the corner of Rte 202 and Rang Bogton, 4.1mi (6.6km) NE of Hemmingford, QC. (45.069N/73.509W)

Boisbriand Post Office

The Boisbriand Post Office was located in Ville de Léry and operated from 1906 until 1915. A 1911 map had the name spelt Boisbrunal but the Post Office Archives show Boisbriand.

Bombay (NY)

A hamlet in northern New York State, located 5mi (8km) SW of Dundee Village. (44.938N/74.568W)


A hamlet that was located at the center of the Botreaux range at the junction of Rang-des-Botreaux and Montée Guerin. (45.077N/73.986W)

Botreaux Post Office

The Botreaux Post Office operated from 1884 until 1915.

Botreaux Range (Jamestown)

The Fourth and Fifth ranges in the Jamestown region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois. (45.07N/74.00W) Also the road that ran between them, now named Rang-des-Botreaux.

Boundary Line (Hemmingford)

A later name for Province Line on the rail line from Hemmingford to Mooers (NY).

Bowron Street (Huntingdon)

An old name for Rue François-Cleyn in the Town of Huntingdon. (45.094N/74.177W)

Bowron Village

The previous name for the Town of Huntingdon dating from 1824. (45.087N/74.174W) Named after William Bowron, a prominent citizen and mill owner.


See: Bowron Village.

Boyd's Lines (Hinchinbrooke)

A border crossing somewhere? in Hinchinbrooke Township.

Boyd's Rapids

A rapids on the Châteauguay River about 0.5mi (0.8km) upstream from Georgetown Church. (45.196N/73.871W) Named after a nearby settler.

Boyd('s) Settlement

The Fourth and Fifth concessions (Hinchinbrooke). The two rows of lots south of the Châteauguay river and straddling the Outarde River in the NE corner of Hinchinbrooke Township. (45.08N/74.12W)

Boyd Settlement Post Office

The Boyd Settlement Post Office operated from 1909 until 1913. Its exact location is uncertain but was probably on the south side of the Boyd Settlement Road, 2mi (3.2km) NE of the junction with Rte 202. (45.085N/74.111W) There were two farms owned by Robson families at that general location in 1881 and Miss Emily Robson was Postmistress in 1909. This is reasonably consistent with a 1913 map.

Brandy Brook (Station) (NY)

A railway station on the Northern Railroad of New York line. It was located where the line crossed Brandy Brook between Ellenburg Depot and Clinton Mills. (44.916N/73.831W)

Brethour Creek

An old name for Dewitt Creek, a tributary of the Châteauguay River at Dewittville.

Bridge, <xxxx>

See also: Pont <xxxx>.


A hamlet that was located 1.4mi (2.2km) west of Franklin Centre, on Rte 202 where the Outarde River East Branch crosses the road. (45.025N/73.950W) On one 1896 map, it is called Franklin. The Manningville Post Office moved there from the old Manningville hamlet (Stacey's Corners) about 1844 and operated there until closing in 1868.

Brighton Hollow

The site of an early flour mill located in New York State, 2.6mi (4.1km) NW of Chateaugay (NY), and 3.5mi (5.5km) south of the Canadian border. (44.942N/74.127W) This mill was used by early settlers in Hinchinbrooke Township.

Briscoe Sideroad (Franklin)

A now abandoned road that ran between the First Concession Road at a point 0.4mi (0.7km) east of Rte 209 (Dorea) (45.005N/73.933W) and Rte 202 at a point just west of Bridgetown. (45.024N/73.953W)

Broad Island

An island in the north channel of the St-Lawrence River between Coteau and Grand-Île. It is now called Île-Dondaine. (45.280N/74.165W)

Brodie's Bridge

The railway bridge across the Châteauguay River on the Canada Atlantic Railway line, 2.2mi (3.5km) west of Howick. (45.188N/73.894W) Also called the Châteauguay River Bridge (Canada Atlantic Railway). It was removed when the rail line was decommissioned.

Brogan Road (Hemmingford)

An old name for Back Bush Road (Hemmingford).

Broken Front

The area of shoreline along the western end of Lake St-Francis between the Salmon River and Isle of Skye. (45.03N/74.49W)

Broken Front Cemetery

Another name for the Isle of Skye Cemetery, an early cemetery located on lot 12 Broken Front.

Brook Road (Chemin Brook) (Hinchinbrooke)

A road running from Herdman to Athelstan. (45.029N/74.128W) Not to be confused with Chemin Brooks (Franklin)


A hamlet that was located on the First Concession (Hinchinbrooke) at the corner of Rennie's Sideroad, 2.2mi (3.6km) SW of Rockburn. (45.008N/74.047W)

Brooklet Post Office

The Brooklet Post Office operated from 1900 to 1915.


A city on the Montréal South shore opposite Verdun, 1.6mi (2.6km) north of LaPrairie. (45.44N/73.47W) It was created in 1958 from part of the parish of Notre Dame de Laprairie de la Madeleine (Laprairie).

Brossard Post Office

The Brossard Post Office operated from 1959 until 1962 when its name changed to Cité de Jacques-Cartier Sub-Station no 20.

Brosseau Post Office

The Brosseau Post Office operated from 1952 until 1959 when it changed name to Brossard Post Office.

Brosseau Station

A rail junction between the Grand Trunk Railway lines from the Châteauguay Valley and from St-Jean in the Richelieu Valley. It was located in present day Brossard. (45.433N/73.457W)

Brosseau Station Post Office

The Brosseau Station Post Office operated from 1889 until 1952 when it became Brosseau Post Office.

Brownlee Road (Hemmingford)

A road crossing Rte 202, 1.8mi (3.0km) east of Hemmingford Village. (45.045N/73.549W) It is named in two parts, Brownlee Road North (north of Rte 202) and Brownlee Road South.

Brownlee Road North (Hemmingford)

The portion of the Brownlee Road north of Rte 202. (45.054N/73.549W)

Brownlee Road South (Hemmingford)

That portion of the Brownlee Road running south of Rte 202. Locally called the Alf Kenny Road and originally called Cleveland Street or Trail. (45.035N/73.549W)

Brown's Rapids

A rapids on Oak Creek in Elgin, on the north side of the First Concession.


The name assigned to the first Norton Creek village built at the site of a grist mill on the Norton Creek. (45.151N/73.704W) Named for Col. Brown, the Seigniory agent who promoted it. Not only did the Brownville name not persist, but the Norton Creek Village name moved downstream to the previously named McGill's Corners.(45.159N/73.716W) See: Norton Creek.

Brunson's Point (Dundee)

A point or marsh island on the south shore of Lake St-Francis in Dundee Township. Its exact location has not been determined? but it is possibly an older name for Fraser Point at the mouth of the Fraser Creek. A modern reference lists a Brunson's Creek as a tributary of Fraser Creek. It was named after Orlando Brunston, an early american squatter.


See: Bryson's Station, Brysonville. Not to be confused with the Bryson Township in Pontiac County (Previously named Havelock).

Bryson's Creek

A tributary of the Châteauguay River with its mouth 0.3mi (0.5km) SW of Allan's Corners, close to the present site of the Parks Canada Interpretation Center. It was the exact location of the main encounter in the Battle of Châteauguay. (45.157N/73.930W) The creek is no longer visible having been replaced by a number of drainage ditches on the farms.

Bryson Sideroad (Montée Bryson)

Better known as the Brysonville Sideroad.

Bryson's Station

The railway station at Brysonville. It was located on the Grand Trunk Railway (CNR) line at the south end of the Point Round bridge where the line crossed the Châteauguay River and Rte 138 half way between Howick and Ormstown. (45.149N/73.929W) It closed in 1948. It was also the location of Brysonville Post Office from 1899 until the station closed.


A hamlet located on Rte 138, halfway between Howick and Ormstown, next to Bryson's Station and the railway crossing. (45.150N/73.929W) It was named after the Bryson family who first owned the farm and who operated the general store.

Brysonville Post Office

The Brysonville Post Office operated at Bryson's railway station from 1899 until 1948 and then from the Brysonville store until 1956. Not to be confused with the Bryson Post Office in Pontiac County.

Brysonville Sideroad (Montée Bryson)

The road running SE from Rte 138 near Brysonville, through Tullochgorum Road (Rang 3) to Village St-Pierre. (45.144N/73.926W) It is the boundary line between Ormstown Municipality and Très-St-Sacrement Parish. It continues as the Montée du Rocher across the Blueberry Rock. The section between Tullochgorum and Village St-Pierre used to be called the Cairnside Sideroad after the name of the Post Office opposite Village St-Pierre, on the Ormstown side of the sideroad.

Buchanan Island (Dundee)

An island in Lake St-Francis, 1.3mi (2.2km) NE of Fraser Point. (45.063N/74.451W) It is now called Île-Rene-Lapierre.

Buck's Mills

An old name for Powerscourt.

Buisson Domain (Domaine du Buisson)

A strip of land running from Pointe du Buisson on the St-Lawrence south to the St-Louis River. (45.30N/73.95W) It divided Annstown and Helenstown regions of the Seigniory of Beauharnois and was shown on the 1840 map of the Seigniory. It was largest of a number of lots of bush land that were set aside by the previous Seigniory owners as private hunting and fishing areas and as reserved areas for future development. These privileges probably lasted until the Seigniories were abolished in 1854.

Buisson Point

See: Pointe-Buisson.

Burke (NY)

A village in Northern NY, located approximately halfway between Chateaugay (NY), and Malone (NY). (44.905N/74.170W) It was also a railway station on the Northern Railroad of New York rail line.

Burke Center (NY)

A hamlet in Franklin County in northern New York State. It is located at the corner of Callahan Road and US RT11, 5mi (7.9km) west of Chateaugay (NY).

Burton Street (Huntingdon)

An old name for the present Dalhousie Street in the Town of Huntingdon. (45.092N/74.179W)


Burtonville is described in one publication as a township but Bouchettes 1815 Topo map showed it as a hamlet. A modern topo map shows it on Rte 221, 1.4mi (2.2km) north of Lacolle, adjacent to the Burtonville Cemetery (45.102N/73.372W) It was probably named after Napier Christie Burton who owned the Seigniory of Lacolle during the early 1800s. Others say that there was a blacksmith by the name of Burton at that location.

Burtonville Cemetery

An active protestant cemetery located 1.4mi (2.2km) north of Lacolle on Rte 221. (45.102N/73.372W)

Burtonville Woods

An old wooded area, located in a swampy area (called Cranberry Marsh) about halfway between Napierville and the Richelieu River. (45.17N/73.33W) Also known as Woods of L'Acadie.

Butternut Island

An island in the western end of Lake St-Francis on the Ontario side of the provincial boundary line. It is located 3.3mi (5.3km) NNW of Fraser Point. (45.090N/74.488W) It is now part of the Akwesasne Indian Reserve.