Huntingdon County and the Seigniories of Chateauguay and Beauharnois


La Bataille Post Office (St-Luc)

The La Bataille Post Office operated from 1907 until 1914. It was located in St-Luc Municipality (St-Jean County) on Rte 104, 6mi (9.6km) NW of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu and 1.6mi (2.5km) ESE of the bridge over the L'Acadie River. (45.370N/73.339W)


A hamlet on the west side of the Châteauguay River, north of the Beauce Road bridge, 2.5mi (4km) north of Ste-Martine. (45.287N/73.804W)

Laberge Post Office

The Laberge Post Office operated from 1877 until 1915.

L'Acadie (St-Jean)

A village in St-Jean County, 4.2mi (6.8km) west of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. (45.315N/73.344W) It was called Blairfindie in the old times (c1800s). Other local names included La Petit-Cadie and La Nouvelle-Cadie. It merged with St-Jean-sur-Richelieu and several other towns in 2001 to form the new city of Ville de St-Jean-Iberville.

L'Acadie Cemetery

See: Cimetière de L'Acadie and Grace Church L'Acadie Anglican Cemetery

L'Acadie County

See: Acadie County.

L'Acadie Post Office

The L'Acadie Post Office has been in operation since 1837.

L'Acadie River (Rivière L'Acadie)

A tributary of the Richelieu River with its source near the east side of Hemmingford Village (where it used to be called the Little Montreal River). (45.038N/73.558W) It runs north through Napierville and L'Acadie to its mouth at Chambly Basin, 1.8mi (3.0km) north of Chambly. (45.476N/73.287W)

L'Acadie Station

There are two L'Acadie Stations on the north side of L'Acadie Village. The first is located on the Canadian Pacific Railway line where it crosses Chemin Grand-Pré, 0.5mi (0.8km) north of the village. (45.321N/73.343W) The second L'Acadie Station is located on the Canadian National Railway line where it crosses the Chemin Grand-Pré, 2.7mi (4.3km) NNW of L'Acadie Village. (45.353N/73.363W)

L'Acadie Station Post Office

The L'Acadie Station Post Office operated from 1863 to 1865 and from 1905 until 1915. Which L'Acadie Station it operated from is unknown? but is likely the CNR station since it is further from town.

Lacasse Road (Hemmingford)

A now largely abandoned road that ran from the old, cut-off part of Rte 219, 2.4mi (3.8km) north of Hemmingford Village, east to the jog in the Napper Road. (45.080N/73.571W) It was locally known as the East Road.

Lachine (La Chine)

A city on the south side of Montréal Island, north of the Lachine Rapids. (45.44N/73.68W) Named by the early explorers who were searching for a way to China (La Chine in french). On several old maps, Lachine was shown as the area east of the Lachine Canal, now called Lasalle. The present Lachine was then called Upper Lachine.

Lachine Canal

A navigation canal running from Montréal harbour, north of the Victoria Bridge, to Lachine. It bypassed the Lachine Rapids.

Lachine and Province Line Railway

The name of the railway that passes through Napierville, according to the Belden Atlas 1881. The name resembles the Province line Branch of the Montreal and New York Railway which ran from Caughnawaga (and Lachine via ferry) through Hemmingford to Plattsburgh. It may? be a mistake as the actual name for the Napierville rail line is the Napierville Junction Railway.

Lachine Railway Bridge

The CPR railway bridge that crosses the St-Lawrence River between Kahnawake and Lachine, on the upstream side of the Lachine Rapids. (45.420N/73.660W) Also known as the St-Lawrence Bridge.

Lachine Rapids

A large section of rapids in the St-Lawrence River, between the Island of Montréal and the Kahnawake Indian Reserve. (45.41N/73.62W) An old name was Sault St-Louis.

La cole

A name applied to the mouth of the Lacolle River by Samuel de Champlain in 1609. It is similar to the french 'le col' meaning 'neck' and is supposedly the base for the placename Lacolle. Another, alleged source of the Lacolle name is the french word 'colle' meaning glue or paste, supposedly because of the difficulties encountered by small boats navigating its surface. This sounds pretty stretched!


A town in St-Jean County, located on Rte 221 at the corner of Montée Van Vliet, 5mi (8km) north of the US border and 2.7mi (4.3km) west of the Richelieu River. (45.083N/73.371W)

Lacolle Catholic Cemetery

See: Cimetière de Lacolle.

Lacolle Junction

The previous name of Cantic railway junction.

Lacolle Mill

A mill on the Lacolle River, on the ESE side of Lacolle Village, close to the present village of Notre-Dame-de-Mont-Carmel. (45.069N/73.343W) The mill operated from before 1766 until well into the 1800s.

Lacolle, Municipalité de

A local administrative district created in 1845, consisting of the Seigniory of Lacolle?. It was part of the reform that replaced the first Municipal Districts created in 1841 and it in turn was replaced in 1847 with another reform. In 1855, there was further reform when the Counties were reborn. It was a confusing time.

Lacolle Post Office

The Lacolle Post Office has been in operation since 1832.

Lacolle River

See: Rivière Lacolle.

Lacolle Station

A railway station on the Napierville Junction Railway line, located in the town of Lacolle on Rue Ste-Marie. (45.082N/73.370W)

Lacolle Station (Grand Trunk)

An old railway station on the Champlain and St-Lawrence Railroad (Champlain Division of the Grand Trunk Railroad) line. According to the Belden Atlas in 1881, it was located 2 miles northeast of Lacolle Village at that time. Depending on where the village was located at that time, that could place it in the area near the corner of Rang Pir Vir and Montée Hay, about 2mi (3.2km) north of Cantic (Notre-Dame-de-Mont-Carmel). (45.098N/73.334W)

Lacolle Station Post Office

The Lacolle Station Post Office operated from 1903 until 1918.


The point at the junction of the Châteauguay and English Rivers, 2.1mi (3.3km) north of Howick Village. (45.214N/73.837W) Named after the french for 'fork'. Later named Logan's Point.

LaFourche, Village de

An old french name for the Village of Howick on the English River. Named after the french name for the fork between the Châteauguay and English Rivers, 2.1mi (3.3km) to the north.

LaFourche Post Office

The LaFourche Post Office operated from 1911 to 1914 at a location somewhere in the Laprairie-Napierville Federal Electoral District?. Not to be confused with the LaFourche that became Howick Village.

LaGuerre (Village)(Godmanchester/St-Anicet)

A village in Godmanchester (now St-Anicet) at the junction of the East and West branches of the Laguerre River. It was located 0.6mi (1km) NW of the junction of the Chemin Rivière-à-laGuerre and the Quesnel Sideroad. (45.119N/74.315W) It was also known as Godmanchester Village. The village declined rapidly after 1849 when the lake water level rose as a result of the Old Beauharnois Canal and flooded much of the area.

La Guerre Post Office

The La Guerre Post Office operated from 1842 until 1915.

Laguerre Cemetery

A protestant cemetery located beside the Calvin Presbyterian Church at LaGuerre. See: Calvin Presbyterian Cemetery.

LaGuerre River (Rivière La Guerre)

A river in St-Anicet Parish with its mouth in Baie St-Anicet on Lake St-Francis, 0.7mi (1.1km) NE of St-Anicet Village. (45.147N/74.352W) It splits into two branches, East and West, at the LaGuerre Village. (45.119N/74.315W) It was named after François Benoit dit Laguerre.

Laguerre Road

An early road that ran from Laguerre (village) back to Huntingdon area. It probably followed roughly the path of todays Quesnel Sideroad from Laguerre to the Ridge Road and possibly all the way to the Trout River. Not to be confused with the modern Chemin Rivière de La Guerre (St-Anicet).

Laird's Settlement

An early settlement centered on the Fourth Concession (Godmanchester) now called the Back Ridge and Teafield Roads, near the corner of the Plank Road. (45.10N/74.22W) Named after James Laird, an early settler.

Lake Champlain Division (Grand Trunk Railway)

A subsequent name for the Champlain and St-Lawrence Railroad, Canada's first railroad.


The old lake in the Cranberry Marsh, located east of Napierville. It has now disappeared when the marsh was drained.

Lake Front (St-Anicet)

The lots along the Lake St-Francis shore line in St-Anicet. This gets a little confusing. The lots here were very long and narrow. Some as long as 2 mi (3.2km). As a result, the First Range (Godmanchester) was settled on both ends. Sellar referred to the northern lakeshore settlement as Lake Front Concession and the rear settlers as First Range-Dundee Road but officially it was all the First Range (Godmanchester). It included the area on the east end, known as the Dalhousie Settlement and the area on west side of the La Guerre Village known as the Scotch Ridge or Highland Ridge. The First Range (Godmanchester) became the First Range (St-Anicet) when that municipality was created. Also known as the Lakeshore (St-Anicet or Godmanchester).

Lake St-Francis

A large lake in the St-Lawrence River, between Grande-Île (Valleyfield) and the Ontario border, on the northwest side of Huntingdon County.

Lake St-Louis

A large lake in the St-Lawrence River, on the south side of the western end of the Island of Montréal (West Island). It covers from Lachine and Kahnawake to Pointe-des-Cascades and Melocheville.

Lake St-Louis and Province Line Railway

The first name for the Montreal and New York Railway. The company was reorganized under the new name in 1851.

Lake Shore (Châteauguay)

Probably the shore of Lake St-Louis, west of Châteauguay?.

Lambton Street (Howick)

The main street in Howick, nearest the river. (45.185N/73.847W) Locally called Front Street. It was named after John George Lambton, Lord Durham, Governor General in 1838 and author of the Durham Report into the Rebellions of 1837-8.

Lambton Street (Ormstown)

The main commercial street in Ormstown, on the northwest side of the river. (45.125N/73.993W) It was named after John George Lambton, Lord Durham, Governor General in 1838 and author of the Durham Report into the Rebellions of 1837-8. Known locally as Main Street.

Lancaster, ON

A town on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River in Ontario, north of Dundee and due west of St-Anicet. (45.135N/74.490W)

Lanctot Post Office

The Lanctot Post Office operated from 1907 until 1912 when it changed name to the DeLéry Post Office. It was located 1.5mi (2.4km) SSW of St-Jacques-le-Mineur on Rte 217, at the corner of Montée Langevin.

Land o'Cakes

The southwest end of the Third and Fourth Ranges (Botreaux Range) in Jamestown region in the Seigniory of Beauharnois, SW of the present Village of Ormstown. (45.08N/74.00W) It was used as bushlots for firewood by the early settlers in the region. Origin of unusual name is unknown?


A hamlet located 3.6mi (5.7km) NW of Ormstown, at the junction of Rte 201 and Rang du Cinq (Rang 5). (45.164N/74.039W) Originally in Ormstown region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois, it is now at the border of St-Louis-de-Gonzague and St-Stanislas-de-Koska.

Landreville Post Office

The Landreville Post Office operated from 1874 until 1915.

Languedoc Mills (Hemmingford)

An older name for Nesbitt's Mill on the English River in Hemmingford Township. See: Nesbitt's Mill.

Languedoc Mills (St-Édouard)

A mill that was located on the Rivière la Tortue, 1.5mi (2.4km) NNE of St-Édouard. (45.265N/73.491W)

LaPierre River

It is mentioned early in Sellar's history but its location is vague beyond "opposite the sault". It could mean the Rivière St-Pierre flowing into the St-Lawrence near Ste-Catherine opposite the Lachine Rapids (Sault St-Louis in old french). Or possibly? a river on the island of Montréal flowing into the St-Lawrence opposite Sault-St-Louis (the Jesuit Mission to the Mohawks at Kahnawake).


The old name for St-Michel-de-Napierville. It may have been spelt La Pigeonnière at times but the combined word is the one that appears on old maps.

La Pigeonnière Station

A station on the Province Line Branch of the Montreal and New York Rail line between Caughnawaga and Plattsburgh (NY), via Hemmingford. (45.209N/73.589W) It was renamed St-Michel Station and is shown as "Le Dépôt" on a modern map.

Lapigeonnière Post Office

The Lapigeonniere Post Office operated from 1854 until 1880 when it changed its name to St-Michel-de-Napierville.

Laprairie (La Prairie)

A city on the southeast shore of the St-Lawrence River, opposite Verdun on the Island of Montréal. The earliest reference to Laprairie gave its name as La-Prairie-de-la-Magdeleine, which was both the name of an early catholic mission and the name of the seigniory. The Parish of Laprairie was created in 1845, the Village of Laprairie was incorporated in 1846 and incorporated as a Town in 1909.

Laprairie County

A county created in 1829, comprising the old Seigniories of Châteauguay, Sault St-Louis, Lasalle, and Laprairie-de-la-Magdelaine. It disappeared in the reforms of the early 1840s to reappear again in 1853 in a different shape. Then it comprised the Seigniories of Sault-St-Louis, Laprairie-de-la-Magdelaine, and parts of Lasalle and Châteauguay. The Parishes and municipalities included were Laprairie, St-Philippe, St-Jacques-le-Mineur, St-Isidore, St-Constant and Sault St-Louis (Kahnawake).

Laprairie Basin

The enlarged area of the St-Lawrence River between Laprairie and Verdun.

La Prairie-de-la-Magdeleine

The earliest name for Laprairie and the name of a seigniory stretching east from the river at Laprairie. Sometimes spelt Magdelaine.

Laprairie-Hemmingford Road (Hemmingford)

An earlier name for Frontier Street (Rte 219) or Main Street in Hemmingford Village.

Laprairie Post Office

The Laprairie Post Office has been in operation since 1832.


A hamlet on the Black River, 4.6mi (7.4km) WSW of St-Chrysostome. It was located at the junction of Rte 209, Chemin de l'Artifice and Montée Gervais. (45.075N/73.851W)

L'Artifice Post Office

The L'Artifice Post Office was in operation from 1900 until 1913.

La Salle

A city on the Island of Montréal, east of Lachine and on the east side of the Mercier Bridge. (45.43N/73.62W) On an old map, Lasalle was called Lachine and the area now called Lachine was called Upper Lachine. It was named for Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle, early french explorer.

La Savane (St-Bernard-de-Lacolle)

A name of a vague area shown on a modern topo map (45.120N/73.446W) The meaning of this name is unknown? although according to a dictionary, savane is a french-Canadian word for swamp.


A concession that included the modern location of the town of St-Luc (now part of the Ville de St-Jean-sur-Richelieu)


An old name for Sherrington Village.

La Tortue

This one is a problem. Tortue is french for tortoise. It was named after the Mohawk Tortoise clan that lived in the area during the period 1667-1675. There are at least 4 explanations for the location of La Tortue. The only common denominator is that they are all situated on the La Tortue River.

  • The old name for St-Edwards (St-Édouard-de-Napierville) Sellar mentions a contract to cut a 9 mile long road "from La Tortue to the Hemmingford Line" presumably meaning the northern boundary of Hemmingford Township. St-Édouard is 8.6mi by road from the present Hemmingford northeast boundary. (St-Mathieu is 13mi and Delson is 17mi)
  • The old name for St-Mathieu-de-Laprairie. This is supported by the Postal Archives that states that the La Tortue Post Office changed its name to St-Mathieu-de-Laprairie in 1919. Bouchette's 1825 topo map shows La Tortue as about 6-7mi from the St-Lawrence River. St-Mathieu is 6mi whereas Delson is less than 2mi and St-Édouard is 11mi. An 1867 Eastern Townships map also shows it at St-Mathieu.
  • A location 1.1mi (1.7km) north of St-Mathieu-de-Laprairie shown on an 1831 map, where the road from St-Philippe meets the LaTortue River.
  • The old name for Delson. This is supported by the existence of La Tortue Station at the Delson Station railway junction. A badly distorted 1815 British military map shows La Tortue Mills a short distance above a fork in the river and there is a split in the Tortue River a short distance south of Delson. On the other hand, the map shows it halfway between the US border and the St-Lawrence River which would be grossly misplaced for Delson. Sellar recounts one settler's statement that the La Tortue mill was near Caughnawaga. A historical journal article describes the mill at La Tortue as being "on the St-Lawrence at the Lachine Rapids". Another article refers to "La Tortue, near LaPrairie".
  • The possibility that all four places were called "La Tortue" by various people at various times on account of their being located on the La Tortue River.

La Tortue Mills

The original name for the Seigniory Mill at La Tortue (wherever that location was).

La Tortue Post Office

The La Tortue Post Office was in operation from 1871 until 1872 and from 1910 until 1919 when it changed its name to St-Mathieu-de-Laprairie.

La Tortue River

A tributary of the St-Lawrence River with its mouth at the old hamlet of Baurette, north of Delson (45.402N/73.536W) and its source in the area east of St-Rémi.

La Tortue Road

The name of the stretch of old Route 3 that ran along the shore of the St-Lawrence River from Caughnawaga (Kahnawake) to Laprairie via Baurette (north of Delson) at the mouth of the La Tortue River.

La Tortue Station

A railway station on the CNR rail line, 0.6mi (1km) NE of the junction at Delson Station. (45.374N/73.537W)

Lavallee Road (Hemmingford)

A road that runs between the east end of the Hurley Road to Rte 219. (45.066N/73.612W) It was previously named the Somerville Road. Named after Moise Lavallee, a local farmer.

Lavigne City

A local name for Village St-Pierre (Très-St-Sacrement). Named after an early resident, Pierre Bourcier dit Lavigne. See also: Slabtown, Slab City, Cairnside.

Leahy Range

Probably the part of the Third Concession (Godmanchester/St-Anicet) running between the Quesnel Sideroad and the Cazaville Sideroad. (45.08N/74.32W) The Chemin Leahy (Leahy Road) is a crooked road running through the middle of that part of the concession. (45.085N/74.307W)

Leavy Sideroad

A road running southeast from Rte 209, 2.4mi (3.8km) NE of St-Chrysostome. It may also be called Montée Mercier.

Lee's Corner(s)

A hamlet that was located at the junction of the Ridge Road (Godmanchester) and Cazaville Sideroad (Montée Cazaville). (45.055N/74.335W) Previously named Kilbain or Kilbain Corners.

Le Portage

First name for Dewittville. Named after the particularly severe rapids in the Châteauguay River at that point, that caused a long portage for all river traffic.

Léry, Ville de

A town on the shore of the St-Lawrence River and Lake St-Louis, located 3.2mi (5.1km) WSW of Châteauguay and 5.1mi (8.2km) NW of Beauharnois. (45.345N/73.806W) Some maps show it as "De Léry" which is probably a corruption of Ville de Léry. Not to be confused with the De Léry Post Office near St-Jacques-le-Mineur or the Seigniory of DeLéry, that was north of the Seigniory of Lacolle.


See: Teohauta.


Modern name for the merged towns of Coteau Landing and Coteau Station.

Leshaute (Leshauts)

See: Teohauta.

Levington Point

An older name for Pointe-Breezy.

Lignes de <xxxx>

French for Lines or customs ports. See: <xxxx> Lines.


A general term for a boundary line whether the US Border (Province Line), a border crossing point (Trout River Lines) or a boundary with an adjoining township or county (Sherrington Line).

Line, The (Hemmingford)

A local name for Province Line on the rail line from Hemmingford to Mooers (NY),

Little Bangall

See: Bangall.

Little Jamestown

Another old name for the Outarde Concession (Jamestown) on the south side of the Outarde River.

Little Marsh Island

A small marsh or swamp island in Dundee, located 2.7mi (4.4km) north of Dundee Village, 0.6mi (1km) east of the mouth of the Salmon River. (45.039N/74.514W)

Little Montreal River

A tributary of the Richelieu River, now called the L'Acadie River, with its source near the east side of Hemmingford Village. (45.038N/73.558W) It runs north through Napierville and L'Acadie to its mouth at Chambly Basin, 1.8mi (3.0km) north of Chambly. (45.476N/73.287W)

Little Salmon River

A tributary on the west side of the Salmon River with its mouth at Fort Covington (NY).

Little Trout River

A tributary on the east side of the Trout River with its mouth halfway between Trout River (NY) and Constable (NY).

Logan's Point

The point at the junction of the Châteauguay and English Rivers, 2.1mi (3.3km) north of Howick Village. (45.214N/73.837W) Named after Alex Logan, an early settler. First called Indian Point and later LaFourche (french for 'fork').

Long Island

An early (c1805) name for Grande-Île (Valleyfield).

Long Sault Road (Hemmingford)

An old name for the Moore Road that runs between the east end of the Hurley Road and Rte 219, north of Hemmingford.

Long Rapids

The first name (before 1824) for Huntingdon Village, named on account of the 1/2 mile long stretch of rapids in the Châteauguay River at that location. It was renamed Bowron Village in 1824 and subsequently Huntingdon Village and Town.

Lost Nation (Hinchinbrooke)

A settlement located between the SW end of the Boyd Settlement and the Châteauguay River. (45.06N/74.17W) Named by the early settlers on account of the buried large cedar stumps and roots, suggesting an earlier settlement then disappeared.

Lost Nation Road (Hinchinbrooke)

The somewhat crooked or curved road running from Rte 202, just north of the Outarde River, SW to the Athelstan Road (Chemin Athelstan), 0.6mi (1km) north of Athelstan Village. (45.058N/74.153W)

Lovell Creek

An early name for Martin Creek that runs through the middle of Ormstown Village. Named after Robert Lovell, who owned a farm beside it.

Lower Bridge (Huntingdon)

A local name for the main bridge across the Châteauguay River, below the rapids and near the dam at Huntingdon, that was the first bridge built and is now a concrete bridge carrying Rte 202. (45.087N/74.172W)

Lower Canada

The name for Quebec when Canada was reorganized with the Constitutional Act in 1791. It was replaced in 1840 by the Canada East section of a united Canada following the Act of Union. In 1867, following confederation, it became Quebec Province of the Dominion of Canada.

Lower Ormstown Concession

The northeast halves of Ranges 2 and 3 of the Ormstown region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois (45.16N/73.98W) and the road that ran between them. (45.153N/73.994W) It runs from Rte 202 at Tatehurst, (1.6mi (2.6km) NW of Ormstown) NE to Rang 40 (St-Louis).

Lower Tullochgorum

An old name for that section of Tullochgorum Concession in the South Georgetown region (Ranges 2 and 3 (South Georgetown)) of the Seigniory of Beauharnois. Compare with Upper Tullochgorum which was the extension of the same concession in Jamestown region.

Lower Village (Ste-Martine)

An old name for Primeauville and north end of Ste-Martine Village, from the rapids with its mills to the Beauce Road.

Low Street (Huntingdon)

The old name for Hunter Street in Huntingdon Village. (45.084N/74.176W)