Huntingdon County and the Seigniories of Chateauguay and Beauharnois


Garden City (La Ville Jardin) (Châteauguay)

An attempted residential development in the 1910s, located in the northeast corner of Châteauguay. It was not successful.

Garden City (Huntingdon)

A residential area developed around the old WW2 Army barracks. It is located on the west side of Rte 202, 0.25mi (0.4km) SE of the bridge. (45.084N/74.169W)

Garden Island

An island in the Châteauguay River, north of the dam at Huntingdon.

Gardiner's Island

An island in the St-Lawrence off the St-Régis Indian Reserve. Exact location is not known.?

Gardiner's Point

A point on the St-Lawrence River south shore at Dundee. Likely an early name for Fraser's Point or a point closeby.

Gardner's Creek

A tributary on the west side of the Châteauguay River, 0.4mi (0.7km) SW of the Turcot Bridge at Georgetown. (45.196N/73.873W)

Gare de <xxxx>, La

French for Station. See also: <xxxx> Station.


A hamlet on the Black River, 2.9m (4.6km) WSW of St-Chrysostome Village. (45.082N/73.816W)

Garland Post Office

The Garland Post Office operated from 1882 until 1913.


A hamlet that was located 1.9mi (3.1km) ENE of Ste-Clothilde-de-Châteauguay on the Montée Pion, 1.1mi (1.8km) SW of the Chemin de la Rivière. (45.172N/73.642W)

Gasparine Post Office

The Gasparine Post Office operated from 1887 until 1914. Prior to that, it was named Ste-Clothilde-de-Châteauguay Post Office. The Ste-Clothilde Post name was then moved to the present day Ste-Clothilde-de-Châteauguay.

Gavin Bridge (Elgin)

A bridge across the Trout River at Kensington (Hendersonville). (45.014N/74.303W) Named after Hugh Gavin who purchased the bridge in 1896. There was probably an older wooden bridge at this site but its name is unknown at this time?.

Gentle-Welch Cemetery

A private cemetery located on the south side of Rte 202, 1.9mi (3.1km) WSW of Franklin Centre. (45.022N/73.962W)

George's Mill

The original mill at Howick built by the Seigniory of Beauharnois in early 1803.

George's Mill Domain

Land along the west side of the English River, reserved for a village next to George's Mill at what became Howick Village.

Georgetown (George Town)

See: North Georgetown and South Georgetown. Named after Alexander Ellice's son George. Sometimes written as two words.

Georgetown Cemetery

A protestant cemetery located beside the Georgetown Presbyterian Church near Howick, at the junction of Rte 138 and Mill Road (Howick). (45.198N/73.862W) First used in 1806.

Georgetown Concession

The range of lots on the west side of the English River from Howick Village to Aubrey. (center 45.155N/73.835W)

Georgetown Bridge

See: Turcot Bridge.

Geraldine (Havelock)

A hamlet that was located on Covey Hill Road, west of the top of the hill, at the corner of the Stevenson Sideroad (Montée Stevenson). (45.017N/73.835W)

Geraldine Post Office

The Geraldine Post Office operated from 1876 until 1914.

Gervais, La Montée

A road running NE from Rang Double (St-Urbain), 1.6mi (2.6km) SE of St-Urbain-Premier. It was called Montée Grande-Ligne at one time.

Gibson Corners (NY)

An old hamlet in northern New York State, located at the corner of Clinton Mills Road and Bull Run Road, 5mi (8km) north of Ellenburg (NY). (44.964N/73.825W)

Gilfillan Trail

An old road or trail that ran from the Stevenson Sideroad, between Rte 202 and Covey Hill Road (above where there is a jog in the road) (45.030N/73.835W), east along the hill, through the jog in Rte 203 at Waddell's and on to the "flat rock area at Vincent's" on Rte 202, east of Havelock Corners. It served a number of houses that were built along the path on the expectation that the trail would become a regular road (it didn't). It was probably named after James Gilfillan or his family who were early settlers on Covey Hill.

Gilmore Sideroad (Elgin)

A road running from the Third Concession Road at Glenelm, 1.5mi (2.5km) west of Athelstan, NW to the Athelstan Road (Chemin Athelstan). (45/046N/74.194W)

Gilvies Rapids

A rapids on the Chateauguay River near the Georgetown Church. Probably a contraction of Ogilvie's, who owned a farm next to it. (45.199N/73.861W)

Girard (St-Blaise)

A hamlet that was located on 94th Avenue where the CNR rail line crosses the road. Named after Thomas Girard, the first postmaster. (45.179N/73.303W)

Girard Post Office

The Girard Post Office operated from 1889 until 1946. Prior to that, it was called Mont St-Nicholas Post Office.

Girard Station

A railway station on the Grand Trunk rail line from St-Jean to Rouses Point (NY). It was located on the Second Grand-Ligne Road where the rail line crossed. (45.179N/73.303W) It was previously called St-Nicholas Station.

Giroux Island

An island in the St-Lawrence River between Coteau Landing and Grande-Île. (45.260N/74.188W) The Coteau Railway Bridge passes over it.

Giroux, Montée

A road running from Rte 202 at Corbin's Corners, 4.7mi (7.5km) west of Hemmingford, north to the Cowan Road. (45.057N/73.686W) Named after Albert Giroux, a resident.


A clergy reserve for the support of an individual church.

Glenelm (Elgin)

A hamlet on the Third Concession Road (Elgin), 1.5mi (2.5km) west of Athelstan at the corner of the Gilmore Sideroad. (45.036N/74.205W)

Glenelm Post Office

The Glenelm Post Office operated from 1910 until 1968.

Godmanchester, Municipality of

A local administrative district created in 1845, consisting of the old Township of Godmanchester and part of the Parish of St-Anicet. It was part of the reform that replaced the first Municipal District of Beauharnois created in 1841 and it in turn was replaced in 1847 with another reform creating the Beauharnois District Council, Division Numbers One and Two. In 1855, there was further reform when the Counties were reborn. It was a confusing time.

Godmanchester Township (Canton de Godmanchester)

One of three townships in Huntingdon County created in the 1790s. It comprised the area bounded on the northeast by the Seigniory of Beauharnois, on the northwest by Lake St-Francis, on the southeast by the Châteauguay and Trout River, on the south by the US border. (center 45.1N/74.25W) It was named after a town in Huntingdonshire in England.

Godmanchester Village

A village established in the early 1800s at the junction of the two branches of the Laguerre River, about 2.6mi (4.3km) SE of the Lake St-Francis shoreline. It is also 0.5mi (0,8km) west of the corner of Chemin Rivière LaGuerre and Quesnel Sideroad. (45.119N/74.315W) Also named La Guerre or La Guerre Village. It was largely flooded when the lake level rose following the construction of dams at Valleyfield in 1849. The Godmanchester name showed on some old maps for the village of Cazaville but I have not found any evidence that this was in common use.

Golden Sideroad (Hinchinbrooke)

A now abandoned road running from the First Concession Road (Hinchinbrooke), just slightly east of the Rockburn Sideroad, south to the US border. (45.004N/74.004W) The name may? have been a corruption of Goldie, the family that had farms nearby. May also have been called Montgomery Sideroad?.


A general term meaning a triangular or irregular shaped area of land.

Gore, The (Hinchinbrooke)

A triangular area comprising the Seventh and Eighth (and maybe? the Sixth) concessions in Hinchinbrooke Township, bounded by the Gowan Road on the south, the Gore Road on the northwest and the Rockburn Sideroad on the northeast. (45.05N/74.05W)

Gore Cemetery

A protestant cemetery located on Gore Road (Hinchinbrooke), 0.8mi (1.3km) east of the junction with Rte 202. (45.020N/73.971W)

Gore Road (Hinchinbrooke)

A road serving the Gore Concessions in Hinchinbrooke. It runs from Anderson's Corners on the Rockburn Sideroad, SW to Rte 202 and is 4.1mi (6.6km) NW of Rockburn. (45.058N/74.074W)

Goundrey's Rapids

A rapids in the English River between Howick and Riverfield, 2.2mi (3.5km) SSE of Howick. (45.158N/73.829W)

Gowan Road (Hinchinbrooke)

The first road north of Rockburn running from the Rockburn Sideroad, west to Rte 202. (45.038N/74.033W)

Grace Church L'Acadie Anglican Cemetery

An old protestant cemetery in L'Acadie, located on Chemin Grande-Prê, a short distance north of Chemin du Cloche. (45.316N/73.345W)


A old hamlet 1.5mi (2.5km) west of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, close to the junction of Rte 219 and Chemin du Grand-Bernier. (45.306N/73.293W) It is now a built up part of St-Jean.

Grand-Bernier Post Office

The Grand-Bernier Post Office operated from 1907 until 1911 and again from 1949 until 1958 when it became St-Jean Sub-station no 4.

Grande-Île, La (Maple Grove)

One of the St-Lawrence River islands in the Îles-de-la-Paix group between Châteauguay and Beauharnois. It is located off Pointe-Hébert, 1mi (1.6km) NW of Maple Grove. (45.356N/73.860W) Previously named Île-du-Large. Not to be confused with the really big Grande-Île at Valleyfield.

Grande-Île, Municipalité de

A rural municipality on the north side of Grande-Île. (45.273N/74.131W)

Grande-Île (Valleyfield)

A large island in the St-Lawrence River at the east end of Lake St-Francis. (45.28N/74.12W) It is now named Île-de-Salaberry. . Part of the City of Valleyfield occupies the SW corner of the Island. Not to be confused with the small Grande-Île at Maple Grove.


An old name for Île-de-Beaujeu.

Grand(e) Isle (Valleyfield)

An anglicized spelling for Grande-Île (Valleyfield). Not to be confused with Grand Isle (Vermont),


A hamlet in the Richelieu Valley, 6.7mi (10.7km) south of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. It is located at the corner of Montée Bernier and Rue Principale, 1mi (1.6km) NW of St-Blaise-sur-Richelieu. (45.220N/73.301W) It was the location of the Feller Institute, a private school that disappeared in the early 1970s when the buildings burnt.

Grande-Ligne, Chemin de la (St-Urbain/St-Isidore)

A road running along the boundary of St-Urbain and St-Isidore, from Rang St-Joseph (Ste-Martine) NE to Rte 207. (45.255N/73.733W)

Grande-Ligne Concession (Haut-Richelieu)

There are four Grande-Ligne Concessions on the west side of the Richelieu River. 1st and 2nd Grande-Ligne are within the municipality of St-Blaise-sur-Richelieu and the 3rd and 4th Grande-Ligne are within The municipality of St-Valentin.

Grande-Ligne, Montée du (St-Urbain)

Originally a road that ran from the Chemin Double (St-Urbain), then called Williams Road, NE along what is now known as Montée Gervais, past the junction with the Petite Rang, then north to the boundary of the Seigniory of Beauharnois with the Seigniory of Lasalle. From there, it went roughly NE towards the St-Isidore area. Today the Montée Grande-Ligne is Rte 207 from St-Urbain-Premier, running NE to the boundary line with St-Isidore municipality. (45.226N/73.728W) Some maps show the road along the boundary between St-Urbain and St-Isidore as Montée Grande-Ligne but it is officially Chemin de Grande-Ligne

Grande Ligne Post Office

The Grande Ligne Post Office operated from 1855 until 1892 when it was renamed Ste-Blaise. It was probably located at the Grande-Ligne Station. The Grande-Ligne Post Office name was then applied to a new location, probably west on the same road at the hamlet of Grande-Ligne, which operated from 1894 until 1968.

Grande-Ligne Protestant Cemetery

A cemetery located at Grande-Ligne hamlet, 0.15mi (0.25km) SW of the corner of Montée Bernier and Rue Principale. (45.219N/73.304W) It is associated with the St-Blaise Baptist Church located a short distance west.

Grande Ligne Station

A railway station on the Grand Trunk Railway line that runs between St-Jean and Rouses Point. It was located on First Grande Ligne Road where the rail line crossed. (45.211N/73.289W)

Grande Rivière du Sud

See: Rivière du Sud.

Grande Route

An old name for Le Grand Rang de Ste-Clothilde (part of Rte 209 where it joins with Rte 205). It was also known as the Beechridge Road.


An area on the Middle Road of Côte Noir (road from Longueuil to Chambly, maybe the modern Chambly Road) about 5.5mi (9km) SE of Longueuil. See also: Petite-Savanne on the same road.

Grand Isle (Vermont)

Grand Isle in Vermont has a number of meanings. It was the alternate title of a Seigniory (officially known as the Seigniory of Pancalon) granted in 1733 and including the "islands of Grande Isle, North and South Hero". An old map from the 1800s shows it to be the name of what is now called South Hero Island. It is also the name of a Village and a Town(ship) on the north half of South Hero Island. It is also a political county of Vermont taking in the area surrounding the islands of North and South Hero, Lamotte and the peninsula called Alburg Tongue in the north end of Lake Champlain. Not to be confused with the Grand(e) Isle (Grande-Île) at Valleyfield.

Grand Marais, Le (Ste-Martine)

A low swampy area on the west side of the Châteauguay River, 1.5mi (2.5km) north of the junction with the English River. (45.23N/73.83W) Known locally as simply Le Marais, marais being the french for a marsh or swamp. It is possible that in recent geologic time, the Châteauguay River took a course through this area before finding an easier route to the English at the present junction.

Grand Trunk Railway

A large Canadian railway company founded in the mid 1800s that acquired or built most of the rail lines in SW Quebec. In 1923 it became a large part of the consolidated national railway called Canadian National Railways (CNR). See also: Canada Atlantic Railway, Montreal and Champlain Junction Railway, Montreal and New York Railway and Beauharnois Junction Railway.

Grand Trunk "Road"

A local name for a farm on the Fertile Creek (Jamestown) concession. (45.114N/73.913W) It was very rocky and the stone was used on various construction projects, possibly including Grand Trunk Railway structures like bridge abutments.

Grant's Rapids

A rapids in the Châteauguay River, downstream from Allan's Corners near Howick. It was located 1.2mi (2.0km) NW of Allan's Corners. (45.175N/73.912W)

Gray's Mills

An old (c1812) name for Hogansburgh (NY).

Grenadier Island

An island in Lake St-Francis, 2.2mi (3.5km) NE of Port-Lewis. (45.198N/74.257W)


A point on the north side of the west end entrance to the (New) Beauharnois Power Canal. (45.243N/73.162W)

Gulf (Le Gouffre)

A very deep lake with high rocky sides, located on the US/Canada border south of the top of Covey Hill. (45.003N/73.790W) It is fed by water from Gulf Lake, a short distance to the northwest. Local lore has it as bottomless. It is most likely an artifact of the last ice age, a sink hole formed by falling melt water from the glacier that covered the whole northern half of the continent. Also called Covey Hill Gulf.

Gulf Creek (Stream)(Ruisseau du Gouffre)

A stream leading from the Covey Hill Gulf and merging with Allen Brook near Covey Hill Corners. (45.015N/73.766W)

Gulf Lake

A lake on the south side of Covey Hill that feeds water into Covey Hill Gulf. It is located 2.8mi (4.5km) WSW of Covey Hill Corners. (45.006N/73.811W)