Huntingdon County and the Seigniories of Chateauguay and Beauharnois


Dalhousie Settlement

The early settlement on the shore of Lake St-Francis between Port Lewis and Hungry Bay. (45.18N/74.23W) Named after Lord Dalhousie, the Governor of Canada in the early 1800s.

Dalhousie Settlement Cemetery

An early cemetery that was located on an island near the Dalhousie Settlement, east of Port Lewis. The island was later submerged when the lake level raised following the construction of the Old Beauharnois Canal. The exact location is unknown? There is another cemetery showing on Belden 1881 map, 1.9mi (3km) east of Port Lewis, on the north side of Rte 132. Identity unknown?. It was located on the James Brown farm, lot 12, Lake Front or First Range (St-Anicet).

Dalveen Post Office

The Dalveen Post Office operated for a short period of time in 1879 before it changed its name to Herdman Post Office. (45.009N/74.093W) It had previously been named Herdman's Corners Post Office.

Davignon Park

A recent housing development close to Herdman Customs consisting primarily of seasonal residents. (45.00N/74.08W)

Dawson's Hill

A hill on the Vance Sideroad (Rte 202 south of Huntingdon), 0.8mi (1.3km) SE of Huntingdon. (45.077N/74.164W) It has now been levelled for development lots.

Days Creek

An old name (c1815) for Fraser Creek.

Dead River

An early name for the Beaver Creek.

De Léry

A hamlet or village on Rte 217 at the corner of Montée Langevin, 1.5mi (2.4km) SSW of St-Jacques-le-Mineur. (45.257N/73.436W) Probably named after the Seigniory of DeLéry. It was originally named Upper St-Phillip. De Léry is also shown on some maps as the name of the town of Léry, NE of the town of Beauharnois. This is probably a contraction of the french "Ville de Léry".

De Léry Post Office

The De Léry Post Office was located 1.5mi (2.4km) SSW of St-Jacques-le-Mineur on Rte 217. It operated from 1912 until 1952 (seasonally until 1938) and was previously called the Lanctot Post Office from 1907 to 1912.

Delmont Range (St-Anicet)

The range of farms along the Chemin Rivière de Laguerre, between Montée Quesnel and the Plank Road. This range was also called the Newfoundout Settlement.

Delmont Post Office

The Delmont Post Office was located in St-Anicet Parish on Chemin Rivière de Laguerre, 1mi (1.6km) west of the Plank Road. (45.134N/74.261W) It operated from 1907 until 1915.


A town on the Montréal South Shore between St-Constant and Candiac. (45.38N/73.54W) It was incorporated in 1957, from part of the Parish of St-Constant. It is near a rail junction of 3 rail lines. Named after a combination of railway names, DELaware and hudSON railway.

Delson Catholic Cemetery

See: Cimetière Ste-Thérèse de l'Enfant Jésus de Delson.

Delson Post Office

This one is confusing. There are three Delson Post Office names: Delson, Delson Station, and Delson Village. They seem to have moved around and traded names quite a bit. On the other hand, maybe the Post Office archives are confused. The Delson Post Office started in 1912 and ran under that name until 1929, probably at the rail station. Then its name was changed to Delson Station Post Office. The Delson Post Office name was then applied to another location which operated from 1929 until present time. According to the archives, the Delson Village Post Office name was also used for the same office from 1929 until 1962 when it was officially dropped. On the other hand the 1938 Postal Guide shows only Delson Village Post Office, not Delson Post Office.

Delson Protestant Cemetery

A cemetery in Delson located on the west side of Chemin St-François-Xavier and south side of the CNR railway line. (45.373N/73.537W) There was an old protestant cemetery reported on the east side of the river but the location is not yet been determined?. It was reported to have moved to Delson in 1963. See also: St-Constant Baptist Cemetery.

Delson Station

A major railway junction where the Canadian Pacific Railway line from St-Jean, the Napierville Junction Railway line from Rouses Point and the Grand Trunk Railway (CNR) line from the Châteauguay Valley meet. The station is on the CP line. (45.369N/73.551W) The nearby La Tortue Station was on the CN line. (45.374N/73.537W) Also a name of a hamlet next to the junction. (45.368N/73.549W)

Delson Station Post Office

The Delson Station Post Office operated from 1929 until 1952. It was previously called Delson Post Office whose name was relocated to Delson Village.

Delson Village Post Office

The Delson Village Post Office operated from 1929 until 1962 and was the same post office as Delson Post Office.

Denham's Corners

The east end of the village of Rockburn. (45.027N/74.089W)


The french or american term for a railway station.

Depot, Le (St-Michel)

Le Depot, meaning station in french, is a name on a modern map location, 2.4mi (3.8km) SSW of St-Michel-de-Napierville. (45.207N/73.589W) It was previously called St-Michel Station, originally Lapigioniere Station and is located on the route of the now abandoned Grand Trunk rail line to Hemmingford and Plattsburgh (NY).

Depot Street (Hemmingford Village)

A local name for Champlain Street East (Rte 202, east of village center). Named for the rail station located on the edge of town.

Dewitt Creek

A tributary on the north side of the Châteauguay River with its mouth at Dewittville, 0.25mi (0.4km) NE of the bridge (45.116N/74.091W) and its source in the Connaught Range. Previously called Brethour Creek.


A hamlet on the Châteauguay River, halfway between Ormstown and Huntingdon in Godmanchester Township. (45.113N/74.092W) Named after Jacob De Witt, a native of Holland, who built a sawmill there. It was previously called Portage or Portage Village after the impassable rapids in the river around which river travellers had to portage.

Dewittville Post Office

The Dewittville Post Office has operated since 1833 from the general store in Dewittville. It closed in 1989 and was replaced with a Retail Postal Outlet.

Dewittville Station

A railway station located 0.7mi (1.1km) north of Dewittville where the Grand Trunk Railway (CNR) line crossed Seigneurial Sideroad. (45.124N/74.096W)

Dickerson Island

The name of an island in the St-Lawrence River, in or next to the Akwesasne Indian Reserve (St-Régis). It is located in the center of the St-Lawrence River, 1.2mi (1.9km) NE of St-Régis Island. An old map does show it in a different position but the map may be distorted.

District of <xxxx>

An area that encompasses the geographical jurisdiction of a court for criminal or civil matters. The term often appears in legal documents such as land deeds and wills. In 1801 there appear to have been only 3 districts in Lower Canada but by 1881, they had expanded to 21 districts, with the (judicial) District of Beauharnois covering southwest Quebec from a courthouse in Beauharnois.

District of Iberville

A judicial district that included the counties of St Johns, Napierville and Iberville. In the region west of the Richelieu River, it included St Johns (St-Jean-sur-Richelieu), Napierville, St-Rémi, St-Édouard, and Sherrington.

District of Montréal

A judicial district that in the early 1800s and before, included everything southwest of a line that ran from the US border close to Sherbrooke, through the west end of Lac St-Pierre on the St-Lawrence River and NW along the east side of Berthier County on the north shore. In more recent times, the judicial districts were split and additional districts formed. In 1881, the District of Montréal covered the counties of Laprairie, Chambly and Vercheres. District of Montréal may? now cover only the Island of Montréal.

District of Beauharnois

A judicial district with its court originally in Beauharnois, that covered the SW region of Quebec Province in the later 1800s. It included the counties of Beauharnois, Châteauguay and Huntingdon. In present times, the District of Beauharnois operates from the court house in Valleyfield.

Dog's Reef

A point on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River, just west of Pointe-des-Cascades. (45.321N/73.986W) Now called Pointe-au-Chien.

domain (domaine)

In the seigniories, an area set aside as a private hunting and fishing area for the seignior or for other predetermined purposes such as space for a mill or a village.

Domaine du Buisson

A strip of land running from Pointe du Buisson on the St-Lawrence, south to the St-Louis River. (45.30N/73.95W) It divided Annstown and Helenstown regions of the Seigniory of Beauharnois. It was the largest of a number of lots of bush land that were set aside by the previous Seigniory owners as private hunting and fishing areas. These privileges probably lasted until the Seigniories were abolished in 1854.

Domaine de la Pêche au Saumon

The original name for Ste-Martine Village.

Domaine de Seigneurie-de-Lacolle

The center area of the Seigniory of Lacolle, reserved for future use by the seignior when the area was first settled. It was later surveyed and granted to settlers.

Domaine St-Louis

An old name for Beauharnois Village area.

Donnelly Bridge (Elgin)

See: Twin Bridges (Elgin).

Donnelly Hill (Elgin)

The western end of the First Concession (Elgin) next to the Trout River. (45.000N/74.301W)

Dorchester (St-Johns Co)

An old name for St-Jean-sur-Richelieu or a hamlet about a mile north of the old Fort St-Johns. The Dorchester was also a name of a locomotive on the first railway in Canada between Laprairie and St-Jean in 1837.


Located at the corner of the western end of Covey Hill Road and Rte 209, 0.3mi (0.5km) north of the Franklin Centre Customs. (45.003N/73.937W) Also the name of a now closed rehabilitation center located near the corner.


Douglasburg was located at the junction of Rtes 217 and 221, close to the Napierville exit of Autoroute 15. (45.196N/73.447W) Also known as Douglas' Corner or Coin Douglas.

Douglasburg Post Office

The Douglasburg Post Office operated from 1888 until 1914.

Douglas' Corners

An old name for Douglasburg.


A hamlet that was located 3.2mi (5km) NE of Napierville at the corner of Rang Gregoire and 2nd Line Road. (45.219N/73.361W)

Dozois Post Office

The Dozois Post Office operated from 1905 until 1914.

Drem Isle

An older name for Russell island or the house on it, named by Dr. Francis Shirriff who owned it before the Russell family.

Dumas Range (Franklin)

Originally in the Russelltown region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois, the Dumas Range was transferred to Franklin township when it was formed in 1857. It was then designated the Seventh Concession (Franklin). It is located about 1.5mi (2.2km) NW of Franklin Center. (45.06N/73.95W) Also the name of the road serving that concession (Rang Dumas) which forms the boundary line with Ormstown municipality. (45.057N/73.971W)

Dumouchelle's Rapids

A rapids located in the Châteauguay River near the mouth of the English River.

Dundee Centre

A hamlet that was located at the junction of the Dundee Centre Road and the Smallman Sideroad. (45.029N/74.428W)

Dundee Centre Cemetery

There are two cemeteries at Dundee Centre. See: Zion Presbyterian Cemetery (Old) and Zion United Cemetery.

Dundee Centre Post Office

The Dundee Centre Post Office operated from 1864 until 1913 with a break between 1882 and 1896.

Dundee Lines

The old name for the Canadian Customs Port at Dundee, QC (44.998N/74.509W)

Dundee, Municipality of

The first name for Dundee Township. Later it was the name of a local administrative district created in 1845, consisting of the old Township of Dundee. It was part of the reform that replaced the first Municipal District of Beauharnois created in 1841 and it in turn was replaced in 1847 with another reform creating the Beauharnois District Council, Division Numbers One and Two. In 1855, there was further reform when the Counties were reborn. It was a confusing time.

Dundee Post Office

The Dundee Post Office operated from before 1832 until 1968.

Dundee Presbyterian Cemetery, Old

See: Zion Presbyterian Cemetery.

Dundee Township

A triangular shaped township, bounded on the south by the US border, on the west by the St-Régis Indian Reserve, on the NW by the St-Lawrence River and Lake St-Francis, and on the NE by Godmanchester Township. Previously named simply as "Indian Lands" Officially established as the Municipality of Dundee in 1831. It was in Huntingdon County but it is now part of the MRC de Haut-St-Laurent.

Dundee (Village)

A village on the Canada/US border across from Fort Covington (NY). (45.000N/74.509W) Municipality of Dundee was established in 1831. Named after the birthplace of an early storekeeper, John Davidson, who came from Dundee, Scotland. Previously called Salmon River Village. See also: Dundee Township.

Dunn Cemetery

A private family cemetery located east of Franklin Centre on Rte 202, close to the junction of Chemin Brooks. It is about 100m north of the road on private property. (45.039N/73.887W)

Dunn's Mills

This place is somewhat vague. Sellar describes it as located 5mi (8km) west of Laprairie but that would put it in the middle of the St-Lawrence River. A map from 1839 shows it west of the mouth of the Rivière St-Pierre. (45.407N/73.576W) This location is about 4.4mi (7km) WSW of Laprairie. It is not obvious where the water power would be at that site but possibly there was sufficient flow between Île-à-Boquet and the shore to power a mill. Otherwise it would be at the mouth of the Rivière St-Pierre located at present day Côte Ste-Catherine.

Dupuis Corners

A hamlet that was located in St-Anicet Parish at the corner of Rte 132 and Chemin St-Charles, 1.3mi (2.1km) NW of Cazaville. (45.101N/74.386W)

Dupuis Corners Post Office

The Dupuis Corners Post Office operated from 1908 until 1913.


The first name for the Village of Ormstown established in the late 1830s to mid 1840s. It was named for Lord Durham, who was investigating the state of affairs in Canada in the late 1830s and was a friend of the Seignior. It gradually became known as Ormstown Village starting in 1845 and was officially changed when Ormstown Village was incorporated in 1890. The post office was always called "Ormstown" from its inception in 1837 since it served all of the seigniorial region of Ormstown. Not to be confused with the Durham Township in Drummond County, southeast of Drummondville. Also not to be confused with Dunham village in Dunham Township, Mississquoi County, east of Bedford.